Parks and Open Areas
Oakford Lawn is a hidden gem of Kingsteignton. Access is signed from Oakford Stationers at the junction of Broadway Road and Gestridge Road and a further entrance can be found along Broadway Road opposite the junction with Wolverton Drive.
It is owned by the Village Trust and managed on behalf of residents and visitors by the Town Council. Enjoyed for its peace and tranquillity, it is also the venue for the annual Ram Roasting Fair. The remains of hounds' kennels from the previous owner, Master of the Haldon Hunt Mr. Lloyd-Bucknell, can be found in one corner of the 3 acre park.
Read more about Oakford Lawn here.
Clifford Park is equally hidden with access from Coronation Road and Longford Lane, adjacent to the Royal British Legion club car park.
Under ownership of Clifford Estates, the 3 acre park is managed by the Town Council. The large, flat field accommodates a children’s playground, basketball area and a BMX ramp for Kingsteignton Riders Union. Fitness Equipment suitable for ages 14 - 100+ year old's was installed in a quiet area in the corner behind the houses in Strawberry Terrace.
Kingsleigh Park is a walking and play area with open grassland and views to Haytor. The children’s playground was completely refurbished in 2011 and has two slides, junior swings, compass rocks climbing wall picnic bench and shrubs. Pedestrian access can be gained from Longfield Avenue and also from Gate Tree Close and Calvados Park. This park is owned and maintained by Teignbridge District Council
Hackney Marshes is adjacent to the Teign Estuary and racecourse. Access can be gained from Greenhill Way, where there is a free car park, and from a footpath from the Passage House Inn. You can find a wide variety of wildlife in a mix of grassland, reed beds and ponds.
There are bicycle racks, wheelchair-friendly ramped bridges and level paths and picnic benches. A lock to the long abandoned Hackney Canal can be found on the waterside.
This 8.5 acre area is a Local Nature Reserve and managed by Teignbridge District Council. More details can be found here.
A board in Oakford Lawn bears the following text:
"For many years this field was part of the estate of Oakford House and was used on the 22nd June 1897 for a public dinner to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. In 1900 it was again used for the village
centenary celebrations. Since 1904 it has been the traditional site of the annual village Ram Roast Fair. Previously occupied by Dr David Cromie, one-time village General Medical Practitioner and Torbay
Hospital surgeon, it was purchased and lived in by Mr Lloyd-Bucknell who, as master of the Haldon Hunt, had loose boxes in his garden and stables sited where the Youth Club is today. The ruins at the far left
corner are all that remain of the hounds’ kennels. In 1935 it was again used to host the celebrations to mark the Silver Jubilee of George V.
During the Second World War it was occupied by the Army, ARP and emergency services. Troops returning from the war were given a welcome home party on the lawn. After the War one of the village dairymen, Mr
Gorwyn Partridge, grazed his cows here when it was owned by a Mr Reece.
In 1963, following the death of Mr Reece, the land was sold to Devon County Council as a possible site for a second primary school. The school was eventually built in Rydon Road and the lawn continued as a
playing field for St Michael’s Primary School.
The Preserve Oakford Lawn Association was launched in 1987 in an attempt to stop any building development on the site. This became a serious threat in 1999 but negotiations resulted in the purchase of the land by the Kingsteignton Village Trust on the 30th November 2000. The object of the Trust is to preserve the lawn as an open space. The purchase price was raised over a six-month period by large and small donations. The major contributors are listed but the whole effort involved all aspects of village life,
participants included an eighteen-month old toddler and a seventy-year old abseiler. Thanks for contributions are due to Ugbrooke Environmental Ltd, Kingsteignton Parish Council, Watts, Blake, Bearne & Co, Teignbridge District Council, C R Willcocks & Co, M & W Minerals Ltd and, in particular, the villagers of Kingsteignton.
Oakford Lawn has been purchased as a place of recreation and quiet retreat, we would request that users treat the area with respect so that it will remain a pleasure for all to enjoy."
Kingsteignton Village Trust