Facilities and Attractions
The Fountain - this area is currently undergoing regeneration
The area known as The Fountain is generally acknowledged to be the centre of the town. The name derives from the fact that a spring, or ‘fountain’, originally fed water to horse, cattle and dog troughs which were situated in the middle of the junction of Fore Street and the main road from Newton Abbot to Exeter.
The troughs, unveiled by the Lord Clifford on November 12th, 1887 were moved during road improvements in the late 1950s and re-sited to their present position where some properties were demolished to improve visibility for motorists.
The Leat, or more correctly the Fairwater Leat, can be seen flowing along Crossley Moor Road and Berry Lane towards the church. The water once powered three mills along its route from Well Head, behind the Council Offices in Rydon Road, to Hackney Marsh.
St Michaels Church
St Michaels is an ancient church, parts of which date to the 13th century, with the 85ft tower and other major elements dating to the rebuild in the 15th century. A Grade ll listed building, it is located in the conservation area in the heart of Old Kingsteignton. Access to the church building at times other than when it is open for worship and prayer is by arrangement.
Conservation Area and Listed Buildings
Like most other old settlements, Kingsteignton grew around the church and it is here that many old buildings can be found within the Conservation Area. You can read more about the Conservation Area here.
There is a wealth of other historically important buildings within the town boundary and the full list of Listed Buildings in Kingsteignton can be found here.
Some interesting articles appear on the Devon Hertiage site here.
The Old Toll House
Situated to the West of Kingsteignton, at the crossroads of Chudleigh Road and Exeter Road, is the Old Toll House. Now in private hands, this Grade II listed building was also known as New Cross Cottage and is thought to have been built for the Totnes and Bridgetown-Pomeroy Turnpike Trust in 1824 along the line of an old Roman road.
A coach and horse cost 1 shilling, horse and cart 6 pence, bullocks cost 2 pence and pedestrians 1 penny. In the foreground of the picture is a trough which contained water for horses.
Located to the North of Kingsteignton, Forsterville Lodge, formerly known as Bascombe Lodge, was built in the 1820's as a gatehouse to Ugbrooke Park. Another Grade II listed building, it is constructed of local grey limestone rubble with ashlar limestone dressings.
Stover Country Park is 114 acres of woodland with a lake, marshland, wildlife, Heritage Trail, nature interpretation centre arboretum, raised forest boardwalk, carved seats and Ted Hughes poetry boards. Owned and managed by Devon County Council it can be found on the A382 Newton Abbot to Bovey Tracey road.
Ugbrooke House, just to the North of Kingsteignton, has been home to the Lords Clifford of Chudleigh for over 400 years and is still their private residence.
The Stover Canal runs to the West of Kingsteignton. It was built by James Templer II of Stover House between 1790 and 1792 to transport ball clay to Teignmouth Docks, other minerals from the Bovey Basin and granite from the quarries at Haytor Rocks. It is presently undergoing restoration having ceased being worked in the mid 20th century.